Wednesday 4 March 2015

Piknic Electronik



This weekend I took the family to Piknic Electronik in Sports City.  This daytime music festival was billed as being family friendly, so I thought what better way to ingratiate my daughter into music festivals then to start now?

Originally a concept hailing from Montreal, this festival has gained notoriety with their one in Barcelona, and this is no surprise when you consider the amount of music festivals in Spain.

What I loved about the festival was that I wasn’t old.  The demographic was very much aimed at 25 to 45 year olds plus, and there were so many young families sitting out in the sun, enjoying the DJ sets.  They catered excellently for the younger kids/toddlers with painting, hoola hooping and various bouncy castles. 


I would however love the organisers to reconsider how they split the area.  There was one area for all, and another for those over the age of 21.  It was the area that was for over 21 year olds, which had the bars.  According to the organisers, this decision was taken because of the negative PR that has been experienced by other events due to people’s drinking. 
Across the barricade

I understand this, but Piknic Electronik is being billed as a family friendly event and very much caters for small children.  With this in mind, taking my family of three as an example, Ian had to be the other side of the barrier to myself and my daughter because he had brought one drink without realising that he couldn’t bring it back through, and we weren’t allowed to go in that area either.  Yes, there were about 50% of people who didn’t have children, but they were sat happily away from the rug rats, by the DJ.  Having been to similar events globally, I would expect this natural split anyway.


I do completely understand this decision, but I would like to remind the organisers that the other concerts in question are aimed primarily at a teenage demographic.  This most definitely is not the case for Piknic Electronik.  Also, people with small children - as was the case with the majority of the families, would undoubtedly be sensible. 

Despite my whining, I loved the event.  The music was banging and the DJs were excellent.  My daughter loved the afternoon - as did her daddy.

The DJ’s for the day








No comments:

Post a Comment