Tuesday 10 March 2015

Bags Beating the Stock Market



I have for a very long time extolled the virtues of a good designer bag to my husband.  With every new bag I purchased, I would explain the purchase away reminding him that they are investment pieces and he wouldn’t believe me.

In fact, at first he would laugh and then the ‘joke’ got old for him. There would be many-a-time that would we be sat around the dinner table with friends whilst he joked about latest said purchase, how much it cost and how soon he would find it in the wardrobe whilst I used another.

Prada Briefcase
OK… I accept that as a man he doesn’t understand that there are workbags, evening bags and daytime bags for the weekends.  He doesn’t understand that at times, with a certain look you need structure, where as at other times, all you want is a small cross body design to leave your hands free for all of the shopping that you will doing.  The one thing that he does understand is that my - obsession, passion, mania, thing – Whatever you want to call it, is a great way to instigate male v female banter.

The one time he came unstuck though was when he spoke about my Prada briefcase that I bought 15 years ago.  At the time I paid £1100 and now they retail for £1500.  There are some changes to them though that mine doesn’t have.  An IPod pocket for example (we were still very much in the Nokia days of mobile phones back then), but the increase is still the same.

Another perennial favorite is the timeless classic that is the iconic Chanel 2.55 flap bag made from calfskin.  Back in 2004 this classic cost me just over £1000, fast forward all these years later and you will find yourself parting with over £3000 for a bag that has not changed.

Chanel 2.55
There are others that I could list all with the same outcome…  You can now expect to expect to pay over double for bags from the likes of Hermes, Dior, LV and Fendi nowadays when compared to what you would have paid back then.  In fact, some Hermes are so in demand that you have a waiting list to be able to purchase them and they cost more than a small house *big sigh*.

So actually, I believe my bag obsession really is an investment and I laugh in the face of my husband!  More importantly though, I will leave a tidy legacy to my daughter who has also inherited my passion and who, even at the age of two, will not leave the house without her bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment