Wednesday 7 November 2012

Obama wins...

Believe it or not, the american elections have been big news in Dubai.  Everyone has had something to say about them and the unnaimous verdict in the UAE was that everyone wanted/is happy that Obama won.  I have not heard one single indorsement for Romney since I have been here.

The american elections have not just been big news in the UAE.  This morning, my pakistani taxi driver said he was too tired to drive as he had stayed up to watch the elections.  My indian taxi driver this evening said that he too had stayed up.  "Back home it is big news.  Huge!  Lots of celebrations.  We are all happy.  I didn't like the fire things that go zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bang though." he said whilst hurtling down the SZR, taking both hands off the wheel to illustrate 'the bang' in the air in front of him, before grabbing the wheel suddenly, veering to the right, to carve up a Mercedes as he pulled onto the slip lane last minute.  "They had them on TV." He continued, "In northern India too they celebrated using them.  Not southern India though which is where I am from.  Too loud!" he exclaimed shaking his head.

My taxi driver this afternoon also told me how all the indians in Dubai were happy.  "We are all happy.  We all wanted Obama.  He has a nice presence.  He will do what is best."

Obama, in you we trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment