Tuesday 4 August 2015

People Could Use the Photos you Post of your Child in a "Game"...


As a mother I was absolutely disgusted to read an article posted on BBC News today called #BBCTrending:  Role-playing with other photos of other people’s children.

The ‘game’ #BabyRP gets players to take photos of babies and children that they have taken from on line profiles, and use the stolen pictures to setup Instagram accounts with an imaginary story line.  They then invite others to other instagram users to play the part of Mummy, Daddy, sibling etc. and encourage role play between the adults and their effect on the child.  Often, the role playing is harmless, but it is reportedly not difficult to find disturbing comments.  Instagram have said that they will close all accounts related to this, but questions are being raised about the time it is taking for action.


Personally,  both myself and my husband have always found it very uncomfortable when other people - including family members - post photos of my daughter as you never know who is looking at them.  We have in the past asked for them to be removed (with much consternation from the other side who feel we are being over protective and rather ridiculous).  We both have always had a limited friend list on any post/photos with my daughter but for some obscure reason, I haven't applied that to my blog.  The thought of someone behaving this way with my daughter’s photos has made me reconsider my actions with regards to my blog and allowing others to post her photo on their FB and Instagram pages.

Would it make you change your own security settings…?


No comments:

Post a Comment