Monday 27 July 2015

Only In Dubai – First World Problems…



So I am having a major dilemma right now… Do I choose a seven-seat car, or standard SUV?  I know, first world problems right?  Even to write this feels stupid, and it is actually quite embarrassing if I read this back even with my baby brain, but it is really vexing me!  Ridiculous, huh?

The thing is, yes I am a mummy.  And yes, I know full well that I have another on the way, but seriously, am I really ready for a ‘Practical Family Car’. I am six and a half months pregnant and wearing my four inch heels still, with jeans in 49 degree heat with a full face of makeup.  Most other women I know, especially all those at my stage of pregnancy, are in flats.  I just can't bring myself to do.  For me, a 'Practical Family Car' is is the motoring equivalent of comfy shoes – You just don’t do it!

Admittedly, with my BFF moving here in October, 7 seats will be infinitely more practical, as I can take her kids out with mine.  Not to mention at Christmas when my family come and stay, we can load up one car and get Safe Driver (Safe Driver is a taxi service in Dubai whereby they will come and collect you from whatever watering whole you have fallen into, and drive your car all the way home with you in it), instead of paying for several taxi’s.  But whichever way I look at it, I’m not ready for a practical family car.

Initially, Ian and I were talking about a buying another Range Rover, and this would be fine for just four of us, but what about when my nephew moves back here, and we want to take him and our maid out with us?

http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/luxuryliving/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Screen-shot-2013-07-16-at-10.09.33-AM.png
Aston Martin DB9
I do love Range Rovers.  The one thing both Ian and I agree on is that we don’t want to be embarrassed when we pull up to a valet.  Call us what you will - and if I didn’t live in Dubai, I would be thinking some awful things right now - but in the past couple of months of being pregnant, I have yearning for a 2-seater sports car… even a convertible.  I haven’t wanted a convertible in years, let alone a 2-seater sports car.  I’m 37 for goodness sake, not 27!  That said, my 2-seater car lust has grown along with me - the car in question is a DB9, not some Mazda MX5 like it was back in the day (oh to be 22 again).
My brain knows I need more seats and increased protection.  Over here, being high in a car gives you so much more of a chance to react in case of other bad drivers, that you just wouldn’t consider a 2-seater sports car.  Also, I wouldn’t dream of driving a car without everyone in it being harnessed in correctly, so the more seats the merrier.  Realistically though, I know in the back of my head that we will be choosing a car on the basis of maybe one month worth of driving.  The thing is, I know I would regret not getting 7 seats at every available opportunity.  And yet…

Is this a normal part of pregnancy?  Is this need to regress some weird call for help, whereby one part of my brain refuses to accept that I have to grow up?  Do I really want to relive my 20’s, because, if the truth were told, they weren’t amazing...  I didn’t feel like this when we adopted, but I was mentally prepared for the adoption.  Is this normal if you fall pregnant when you least expect despite the fact you now have your miracle child?  I spoke about this with my friend Kelly, "You aren't in control.  You can't eat what you want.  You can't drink what you want.  Your life will never be the same again.  You know this as you have one already.  You are regressing because you know you literally will be regressing - All over again."  Hmm.  Now that's a cheery thought.

Having reread this, I can’t imagine how I must sound right now.  “Poor, spoilt rich girl, is what springs to my mind.  If I put this on twitter I would certainly post it #onlyinDubai.  As I said, first world problems…

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog !!!
    Are you not in a position to drive your car? Hiring a safe driver Dubai is the best thing to do if you are in Dubai and Awesome Drive is the best safe Driver Company. Awesome Drive welcomes you to a chauffeur-driven service. It is a driver company operating in Dubai.

    ReplyDelete