Tuesday 21 July 2015

Moving to Dubai...


So my best friend is moving to Dubai with her family as she has got the most uh-mazing job offer out here.   Obviously I can’t wait.  It did get me thinking though, what is the one thing you wish you had known prior to moving here that you weren’t told?

She knows all about attesting her documents, from her marriage certificate through to her degree, as she remembers the nightmare I had trying to figure it all out.  But what else is there that she should know?

What to Pack
The Ampitheatre, Media City
Personally, I took in my hand luggage a full file of paperwork, (birth certs, marriage etc.) including back up copies of everything.  With hindsight, especially considering the angel of "What would I have brought if I had kids to consider too?"  I would have also brought all medical records, dental records, iPad and laptops for the journey as well other things like:
·      A small sewing kit - to get me through the first month until we found accommodation and until I found where to buy this sort of thing
·      A lot of money - especially if you are in a hotel as their food bill soon mounts up and you may have to pay this.  Also, cash is king in Dubai.  For someone who never carried cash, it took a bit of getting used to to not whip my debit card out at every opportunity
·      A VPN on your laptop if you want to watch your home TV from abroad as these are very difficult to install from here - That said, we have subsequently ditched ours as 1.  We found we didn’t use it and 2.  They have been made illegal
·      My Jewellery – Which I have since taken back home to the UK and left behind unworn as I just no longer wore it all
·      Makeup – which I found was completely wrong for me in 45 degree heat, so I had to start all over again with the trial and error of finding the right products

Bearing in mind that you will be spending so much time in air-conditioned taxi’s trying to find your way around the city and looking for your new home, and then going out into the heat, you will want to pack light weight materials and flowing pieces.  Whilst you acclimatise, you will be hot and after a couple of months, you will swell up slightly.  I couldn’t fit in half the shoes I had owned after a month or so, yet I can now.   This lasted about a year! 

Believe it or not, going from the heat outside that you are not used to, to the cold inside is a shock.  Not to mention, it is only polite here to cover up a bit more than you may at home.  Pashmina’s and very light cotton cardigans were great for me.  I also thought the way forward would be light cotton flowing dresses… How wrong was I?  I felt very out of place in my cotton trousers and flowing summer dresses.  Maybe it is because I just wouldn’t wear these items at home either, but I did find that the women here when they go out, make an effort.  In fact, Emirates Women has a quote in it this month from Rosemin Manji who states, "I love that here we wear so much  colour - Middle Eastern style is all about celebrating glamour and femininity".  She isn't wrong,  everyone will dress to impress, so make sure you pack you best going-out clothes and include heels just as much as flat shoes, sandals and flip-flops.  

Also, don't think you can get away with not wearing makeup.  Makeup and perfume is a big business here.  For those of us with too little time to spend contouring our faces 24/7, false eyelashes from a salon seem to adorn 70% of the population easily.  Posts on the FB forum regularly ask about where to go for massages, HD Brows, Botox and fillers.  These are far cheaper here than in the UK.

Despite the fact that everyone here takes good care of themselves, don’t bother with your mani-pedi before you come.  They are far cheaper here than in the UK.  However, definitely touch up your roots.  Finding a good colourist in the city is like winning the Euro Millions.
Al Wasl Road

What Others Think
I asked a group of mums what they wish they had been prepared for prior to their move.

“Patience!” was a huge response.  It is different living here, and everything is “inshala”.  The working culture takes so much to get used to if you do decide to work.  Meetings often start late, as people don’t arrive on time.  The majority of business is conducted via emails, text and whatsapp.  It is very difficult to get to speak to people.  It has changed dramatically over the last three years, but still…

“Attesting Documents.”  I was surprised so many people weren’t aware of this before they moved.  This must have made life really difficult once they were here.  Basically, you have to get stamps in your home country from the relevant authorities on things like birth, marriage and exam certificates.  Then at the UAE embassy in your home country, and again when you get here.

“I wish I’d known about the ‘Dubai Stone’,” said Stacey Louise Galley, “or several stone in my case!”  Again, this is not an urban myth.  Maybe it’s the Ladies nights on Tuesday, or the constant eating out which part of the expat culture here, but definitely expect weight gain above and beyond the ‘heat bloat’ that you are likely to experience.

“You will always need more money”.  This is so true.  With so many great restaurants and hotels to visit throughout the UAE, plus your basic living expenses, the UAE is just like living at home; you will always want to be earning more.

Stephanie Mincher Cloke suggested, “Patience, money and yes a thicker skin.  People are good but brutally honest.  I have been told, “You look tired”, or “You got fat” and, “What are those spots on your face.”  After 8 years I have got used to this!”   This is so true.  I stormed out of a beauty shop once after being told by the sales girl that my, “Skin is aging badly.  You have big pores and discolouration.  It will take a lot of time and money to make you look great again, but we can definitely help mask all of this for you!”

The Truth
As a wife of someone who was working here, I found the first couple of months quiet – Hence Irisa Dubai – but I wasn’t lonely.  I found I would skype continuously, not just my family in the UK, but my extended throughout the world.  In truth, it has brought me closer with some family members who themselves moved to far off shores.  I find I converse with them more now, maybe because they understand far more than others what I am experiencing…

I also loved being able to get out and explore, so the guidebook was great purchase at the airport.  It does often surprise me the number of women I have met that felt like they couldn’t step outside on their own for the first couple of months.  This may be daunting.  It certainly was for me and I didn't have a toddler or baby with me, but lets face it, I have just moved to another country, far away from family and friends so why not get out and about and embrace my new life?

Ultimately, moving to any country is scary, and my BFF is extra lucky as I am here (yes, I am the best, clearly), but embracing it is the best thing I have ever done.  It is difficult.  You do miss your family and friends, but you soon find new ones if you make an effort.  Everyone is friendly as we all remember what it is like to be new in town.  If you are having trouble with your new life speak to others.  FB forums will offer huge support.  We have all been in the same boat as you and survived; Just  look at the amount of people including ourselves, who said that they were coming out here for two years... and several years on they (and us) haven’t left.  As one friend said to me, when I asked her what is the one thing she wished she had known about Dubai prior to your arrival, “That Dubai is addictive”.  This really does sum up life here.  The lifestyle, friends and opportunity are difficult to be matched elsewhere.







1 comment: