Friday 19 October 2012

The Spice of Life

Since we arrived, we have been so busy trying to set up our new lives that we have not really had the opportunity to behave like tourists.  Yes, we have visited the beach a few times (it is directly opposite where we live) and yes, we have also visited each of the major malls on an almost daily basis, but that was to buy things for our apartment.  So I was more than excited to be finally seeing a part of traditional life that has remained the same for hundreds of years - And get some photos in the process.

The Spice Souk is located in the Creek, in Bur Dubai (The original location for Dubai ).  One thing we do know, it is definitely behind the Gold souk.  It is a labyrinth of narrow alleyways which branch of on both sides of a road before you reach the river, with wooden, elaborately carved roofs protecting those in the souk from the sun.  This did also mean that it was very hot in there as there was no breeze at all and dehydration hit us both.



The souk itself is rather small, takes an hour to go around it, and the first two or three major alleyways were dedicated to kitchen equipment.  The final two to three primarily dedicated to herbs, spices, nuts and chocolates, with the odd shop selling shawls, shoes and clothes to pacify the tourists, of which there were quite a few from all over the world.


Unlike the other souks, you do not get too many men hurry to walk alongside you saying "Designer bags, designer watches, all good price;  Very cheap".  You do however have men trying to entice you into the shop for legitimate sales.

Again, as with the whole of Dubai, everyone is really friendly.  I was concerned about taking photos, so I always made sure to ask first.  The men I spoke with were more than happy to have me photograph.


Sadly, I didn't get the photo I had wanted that I would be able to blow up and put in my kitchen. Also,  rather unlike me, I didn't buy any of the herbs or spices.  I am now kicking myself as, although I doubt they are any cheaper than in the supermarkets (both herbs and spices are very cheap out here), the quality of the ones in the supermarkets leave an awful lot to be desired.  I have already gone through a whole pot of oregano in just three meals!

On a totally separate note, I have just been watching the new Chanel Number 5 advert starring Brad Pitt.  Am I the only one to wonder why?!?!

1 comment:

  1. Spice Souk
    Find a local guide in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Find and book the best personal tour in Dubai from Walks of Dubai! Contact Us Now!!"

    ReplyDelete